Skip to main content

Family Vacation in Cancun!

Hello!! Iced coffee for me today on this hot summer day! What are you drinking?

My family and I just returned from a family trip to Cancun! We had a great time! Partly because this is the first trip in a long time that no one got sick while on the trip. Yes, a very low standard, I know. But this is huge for my family. Someone always gets sick.

We stayed at the Royal Islander which is part of the Royal Resorts (check them out!). What is that, you might ask? Well, it is actually a time share. We used to own one at another resort called the Royal Mayan, but its lease ran out and the hotel and property it was situated on, returned to the Mexican government. Anyway... my mom still has a unit in the Royal Islander and she invited us to join her and my aunt this year. There are too many of us stay in her unit, so we rented our own. Why do you care and why am I trying to sell you a time share? I'm not! You can actually stay there as if it were an all suites hotel! It is quite a nice setup. And there are several Royal Resorts in Cancun and even newer ones stretching southward into the Mayan Riviera.

The room is great because you have a suite with a kitchen, a living room and nice balcony.  Check out the Floor Plan! There is also a lock-out room that resembles a standard hotel room that can be added to your room to accommodate more people. There were 6 of us and we were very comfortable!
Beautiful sunset from our balcony



Lobby at the Royal Islander

Facing the back of the lobby 

The Royal Market
They have a small market there with just about any necessities. It ranges from basic groceries and toiletries, to post cards (does anyone still send those?!?) and magnets, to sunscreen and basic medications. So, if you forget something, there is a good chance they will have it. As an added bonus, before you arrive, they offer a 10% discount via email if you preorder groceries. And they deliver them to your room, so when you enter, they are already there. I love that, because we drink bottled water while we are there and lugging bottles of water around this fairly expansive resort can be a bit much, especially if you are dressed in airport clothes and hot and exhausted!


Pottery Painting! 
Painting pottery here is one of our favorite things to do in the afternoon. They have a big selection of things to paint. You can charge it to your room card, and paint a little each day or all at once. Once you are finished they spruce it up from you, and glaze it. You can pick it up the day after you finish. Just be sure to leave enough time to pick it up!

Another beach view. You can see all the umbrellas available!

I have no idea what they used to right welcome on the beach with, but they really try to make you feel just that, welcome. 
You can get a massage outside. (I didn't want to get too close, there was someone in there!)

Sports Desk
The sports desk is great! They have pool noodles and towels and other things to use at the beach and the pool. 

A view of the Islander from the beach side. 
The following are self-explanatory. Views of the pool(s) and swim up bar. 




Trash and recycling
I know this seems silly to point out, but they have these everyone around the resort. I appreciate that they recycle. I feel so wasteful drinking bottles of water all week. I normally use a Thermos Insulated Water Bottle with a straw. I love this thing, I use it everyday! This one is from Mighty Nest, as I have had a hard time finding them elsewhere lately.

Laundry
They also have laundry facilities. It had limited hours, but a very nice lady in there to assist you. You had to put it in and move it yourself, but it was a welcome service midweek. Below are the hours of operation.

And finally, a map of the two resorts. They do have two other resorts in Cancun, the Royal Cancun (original, right?) and the Royal Sands. There are other resorts further south, as I mentioned before as well. But the Cancun, Sands, Islander and Caribbean have a shuttle service that will take you around to all of the Cancun Royal Resorts. They also have a restaurant across the street from the Islander and the Caribbean called, Captain's Cove, that is very popular because of its location on the lagoon. 


Map of the Caribbean and the Islander 

List of restaurants at these two resorts
There is so much more to tell you about Cancun if you are interested! But this covers the Royal Resorts where we stayed. Please feel free to ask away in the comments if you want to know more. Anyone want to hear about what we did while we were there?? Let me know!

Sara

© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some