Skip to main content

Tips for Traveling with Kids!

Hi! Grab your favorite cup o' joe, pull up a comfy chair and let's chat about traveling with kids!

So, my kids have been out of school for a couple of weeks now. And like most people, we want to travel more while they are out of school for the summer. So here are some things I have discovered make traveling with kids a bit easier. I find that the more prepared you are, the smoother the traveling part goes. You are happier for it and so are they!

My family and I just returned from a vacation to Cancun! (I hope to post more about the trip soon!) So, we traveled by air rather than in a car. Can you imagine driving from Virginia to Cancun!?!?! These tips may differ a bit from a road trip, but I think most can be applied to both. 

My sons are older (8 and 12), so they entertain themselves pretty well. We have made it a tradition to buy a new video game for them to play when we go on long trips. Now, they look forward to picking out a new game. (Full disclosure: my kids like to play on their devices...a lot. We struggle to manage their screen time limitations. What works for my family may not work for yours, but to each their own!) Anyway, the boys each have an iPad and a Nintendo 3DS XL. They have gotten into the habit of selecting a game for their DSs. A new game/app on an iPad/iPod could work well too (and would be much more inexpensive!) as long as you select one that doesn't require wifi to play. I also allow them each to choose a candy or snack to pack too. This is especially exciting to them because I really try to minimize the super sugary snacks they have. We buy both the game and the snacks beforehand, usually at our pre-trip excursion to Target to get supplies. I then promptly stash these items in my closet where they can't find them! Just before we leave for the airport or road trip, they get it, so it is still a novelty. 

My daughter, on the other hand, is only 3. She is still in the phase that she requires almost constant attention, especially on a plane. I pack an entire backpack (I know, overkill!!) for things for her to do. Over the years, I have done some Pinterest searching and have found a few ideas. Please forgive me that I do not recall where I found some of these ideas! You can search for activities on Pinterest. There are tons! I have started collecting small trinkets or toys in the month before we travel. Then, I "wrap" them in a paper bag. I fold over the top, punch holes in the fold and use wrapping ribbon to tie a bow. Sometimes, I get creative and draw a clue on the outside, partly so I know what I am giving her and to (hopefully!) make her more excited about unwrapping whatever might be inside. I try to plan a few for each way. I pack some in the backpack that I carry on the plane and pack the other half in the suitcase to bring home in the backpack.

Please excuse my artistic skills, or lack thereof! There was a Jake and the Neverland Pirates coloring kit inside.



Also, I download movies from iTunes for her to watch, because remember, you never know about the wifi when traveling! She and my younger son watched Zootopia (at least portions of it) about 4 times. Here she is watching Tangled on her iPad.

We keep the iPad she uses in an Otterbox case. We learned the hard way how easy it is to crack an iPad screen once when she let an iPad fall out of the car and onto the driveway. In addition to protection, it has this handy stand built into the case for watching movies. 

Also pictured is her Thermos cup that we love! I usually buy them at Target, but you can get them from AmazonSmile. They have lots of different colors and characters. She takes it to school also, but is especially convenient for traveling! We take it empty through security, and fill it up afterwards. This time, a nice barista at Starbucks filled it up with water for me while I waited for my coffee. I have found if you ask nicely, they are happy to do it! I made sure to leave them a tip. Warning: with the pressurization of the plane, sometimes pressure builds in the cup and when you open the top, whatever liquid is inside sprays out! To avoid this, don't close the cap OR if you need the cap closed to help prevent spills, I suggest twisting the top open a little before allowing your child to sip from the straw. I forgot this last time, and it squirted out all over my daughter, me and the window. Oops! 

These are just the tip of the iceberg! If you have a favorite tip to share, please let us know in the comments below!

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Travels!
Sara

© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some