Skip to main content

Fun in and around Wilmington, NC

My family was fortunate to be able to visit the beach 2 times this summer.  The beach is our absolute favorite place!  This time we went to Carolina Beach near Wilmington, NC. Wilmington, NC is one of my favorite places because it is beautiful and there is plenty to do.  We have been going as a family to this beach for years.  Here is a picture of my little munchkins 5 years ago in the same beach house:

We enjoyed playing the water and the sand on most days of our trip.  



We also used my father-in-law's metal detector one evening on the beach.  My daughters like to look for "treasure".  My father-in-law buried some replica Spanish coins in the sand without them knowing so that the girls would definitely find something.  They had a blast!


We also wanted the girls to have the experience of visiting some of the interesting sites around Wilmington, NC.  One day we took a trip to the Battleship North Carolina, which is a battleship that was used in World War II.  It is such a neat experience to tour the ship and see what life was like for the people on board.


There are A LOT of steps and tight spaces on the tour!  We definitely got a workout!


The girls are looking up at me from one of the many ladders that we climbed on our visit.

It is a self-guided tour throughout the ship.  There are arrows on sailor cutouts (as seen above) to help you along the way.

Here are their beds.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like to sleep in such tight quarters on a moving ship!



This was my youngest daughter's opinion of the bathrooms on board!


They literally had everything on the ship since they would be on board for such a long time, including a dentist's office.  Above is where they would read the x-rays.

Look at the short doorways!

This is where they would serve the food.

I did not include all of the photos from my visit because I took so many!  We had a great time.  It was definitely something that the whole family enjoyed.  If you are ever in the Wilmington area, it is worth visiting.


We also walked along the riverwalk in Wilmington.  It is such a beautiful walk around the downtown area.

Our final stop in Wilmington was the Burgwin Wright House.  It is a home from 1770 that was built on top of a jail.  It was an interesting tour, but not as kid-friendly as other tours that we have taken. You can tour the home for a cost, but the gardens are free.


Above are the girls posing in front of the entrance to the old jail.

Above are the gardens surrounding the house.


Overall, we had a fabulous trip to Carolina Beach and Wilmington, NC.  I hope that we are giving our kids experiences that they will never forget!



-Trina







© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some