Skip to main content

Getaway to Luray and JMU

As you can probably tell, my family enjoys taking day trips during the summer.  The school year is hectic, so we try to fit in as many getaways as we can during the summer months.  Our latest day trip took us to Luray Caverns.  My oldest daughter is really interested in geology, so she really wanted to go.

We got to there around 9:45 and there was no wait.  The line was really long when we finished our tour around 11:30.  I would definitely suggest getting there early if you can, to avoid the long line.

My pictures are definitely not going to do Luray Caverns justice.  It is really breathtaking and a must-see for everyone!  My husband, who is a history buff, was not too excited to go but he said at the end of the tour that he was definitely glad that we went.




The tour is a little over a mile long.  At one point you are 164 feet below the Earth's surface!  We were definitely in awe of everything that we saw.

Above is a picture of the famous organ that you may have heard of in Luray Caverns.  I did not realize that there have been over 500 weddings performed there.  They have a song play automatically to demonstrate the organ's sound.  It was neat to see how the organ was created to use the different parts of the caverns to make the sounds.

Your admission price not only includes the caverns but also the Car and Carriage Caravan Museum, which is onsite.  If you are interested in antique cars, this is the place for you!  My family enjoyed the experience even though we do not know much about antique cars.  


Another attraction covered in your admission price is the Luray Valley Museum.  They have interesting artifacts from the Shenandoah Valley, such as a one room schoolhouse for African-American children from 1885.  You can walk in and around the buildings.  The heat index was 105 degrees the day we visited, so we did not explore the outside areas too much.  

By far the biggest attraction for my children, especially my oldest daughter, was the gem sluice.  We purchased a jumbo gem bag for them to share.  They used trays and the water that was flowing at the site to find rocks and minerals.  They give you a guide to help you to identify what you find.



This is my absolute favorite picture from the trip!  I love to catch the candid moments.  She was clearly VERY excited about the gem that she found!




At many sites in Virginia, you will find LOVE signs to support our state motto of "Virginia is for Lovers".  There was a LOVE sign at Luray Caverns, so of course we had to pose with it!  Find out more about the LOVE signs here: http://www.virginia.org/love/



After we left Luray Caverns, we decided to drive to Harrisonburg, VA to show the girls 
James Madison University, which is where Sara and I both went to college.  I have never taken the girls there, so I was excited to show them around!

My girls are posing with the Duke Dog, which is the mascot for JMU.

Here we are in front of Wilson Hall, which is the iconic building of JMU.


I really enjoyed showing them around and showing them inside some of the buildings where I took classes.  It is almost a surreal experience when your new life/self intersects with your old life/self.  I loved my time at JMU and I hope that at least one of them will consider attending.  That seems like a long time from now, but I know that it will be here before I know it!

To wrap up our day, I decided to introduce my girls to Klines, which is by far the best ice cream in Harrisonburg!  It was as delicious as I remembered, and a perfect treat for such a hot day!



Our trip was definitely a success!  I hope that we are giving our girls experiences that they will always remember.

-Trina






© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud