Skip to main content

Make Ghost Cake Pops #FallBucketListMCD


If you follow our blog, you know we recently celebrated my son’s 9th birthday. He still lets me make treats for him to take to class to celebrate! I am soaking it in as long as I can! My 12 year old son has already put the kibosh on it. #SheSobsSilentlyToHerself

Every year, since I learned how to make cake pops from the Bakerella cookbook, titled Cake Pops!, he requests me to make these Ghost Cake Pops. I have fortunately/unfortunately become known as the Cake Pop Lady at his school. I wear this as a badge of honor. 

Sort of. 

I love to be known as someone who regularly supplies classmates and faculty with various treats (seasonally and randomly) throughout the year. Cake Pops however, are a tedious and time consuming baked good. I have a sense of pride, because they look impressive (even if not executed perfectly!), and when I deliver them, people get really excited. And all that hard work is worth it.

Also, this item is featured on our Fall Bucket List!


Let's get started!

Here is how YOU can make them too! Just make sure you have all of the necessary elements before you get started and plenty of time set aside! Like an entire afternoon! And read this thoroughly to make sure you have everything you need!

First, you need to bake a cake. I prefer to bake it in a 13x9 pan. You can bake whatever type of cake you like. In this instance, I used Red Velvet. I have used yellow cake and chocolate cake before. You can get really wacky with it, and add unusual icing flavors. I usually use whatever type of icing I would put on cake or cupcakes of the same flavor. But I am getting ahead of myself. Once your cake it baked, let it cool completely. See? Just this step takes a long time to bake a cake and let it cool. Sometimes, I even make the cake the day before to speed things along.


Next, after your cake is cool, cut the cake into quarters. Each quarter of the cake should make between 9-12 cake pops, obviously depending on the size you choose to make them. I suggest smaller than you think because once it is dipped in chocolate, it gets larger.

Crumble up the amount of cake you decide you need into fine crumbs into a bowl.


Add a dollop of icing to the bowl... 



And stir it together. You want to add a little at a time until you can roll it into a ball and it stays.


 I like to use a small ice cream scoop (like below and here) for size consistency.


Since I was making ghosts, I formed them into sort of a bell shape rather than a ball. I placed them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Then, I put them into the freezer for 20-30 minutes to firm up, so they don't fall apart once you put the sticks in and dip it into the chocolate.


Next, while the cake balls were in the freezer, I melted the chocolate in this VERY handy Wilton Chocolate & Candy Melts Melting Pot. Note: When looking up a link to share with you, mine has apparently been updated, so look for this instead of the brown version. 



I made the mistake this time of starting by melting the chocolate in a tall, skinny mason jar. 
I know better. I really do. I regretted it instantly. The chocolate stays nice and warm, melted and perfect consistency in the fancy candy melter.


Depending on what you are making, you can melt regular chocolate, or candy melts designed for making things such as this. Hands down for white chocolate, this Candiquik is the best. It melts evenly and is very smooth and easy to dip these fragile pops. Trust me on this one.

Here is my rookie mistake mason jar. Ugh. Still kicking myself. It wasted so much chocolate and the pops turned out gloppy looking. But anyway, back to the process, but learn from my mistakes!!

You dip the Lollipop Sticks into the chocolate so that the cake ball/bell/ghost stays on better.


Gently press the stick coated with the chocolate into the bell shape about halfway in.


And dip! Gently!!


(Please excuse my two different containers. I had to make so many I melted two packages of chocolate, and I was so displeased with using the mason jar!)


Gently tap off the excess on the side of the melted chocolate container.


Stand them up on a foam board or cake pop holder. 
Note: I made my own holder by buying craft foam in the floral area from a craft store. I wrapped it in wrapping paper (pick a neutral one so you don't have to make a new one every time!) to make it pretty. I used a lollipop stick to poke holes in the paper and foam board. Next, so the chocolate dripping (because it WILL drip!) doesn't ruin the paper, I wrap it in plastic wrap and poke the stick through while the cake pops are drying.


Once the chocolate has hardened and dried, use a Food Marker (don't worry, it's food coloring in pen form!) to draw on different ghostly faces on them.




I try to mix it up and make several variations of the faces. 



FINALLY!!! DONE!!

Now, I usually eat the ruined ones. Because there will be losses. Plan to make a few extra just in case you are taking them to an event or something where you need a certain number. 

The very last step is to wrap each one individually, for sanitary reasons, and as you wrap each one, lift to remove the plastic wrap on the foam display board. I use these bags with twist ties. You can find them here.

But I much prefer these bags for a prettier presentation because of the ribbon. They are, of course, more expensive.


I know that was a lot of information!! These are not TOO hard to make. They are time consuming. And equipment intensive! I hope you will try them! Let me know if you have any questions or you want to curse me (KIDDING, please don't!) in the comments!!

Hope you have a BOO-tiful Day! Sorry. I couldn't resist.

-Sara

Other Fall Bucket List Posts You Might Like









© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some