Skip to main content

Easy Slow Cooker Homemade Chicken Stock!



Are you reading the title and thinking, "What is so easy about making this? I can buy it at the store." I did too the first time I tried to make this. Ever since I made this, I have never looked back.

You can make your own chicken in the crockpot for dinner. I usually do that. I use 100 Days of Real Food's The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot recipe. I like it, but sometimes the chicken turns out dry, and my family complains. Sometimes I made the chicken just so I could make the chicken stock suggested with this recipe.

Yesterday, I bought a rotisserie chicken while grocery shopping in the morning for last night's dinner. I had an idea. I reheated it about a half hour/45 minutes before dinner in the crockpot on high. I put the whole chicken with all of it's juices in there. I have never heard of doing this before, and thought I would try it! If you have, hats off to you! And why didn't you tell me? ;)

Let me tell you, it worked out great! And that spurred the idea that I could make the Chicken Stock from the rotisserie chicken parts. I love having a stash of various sizes of chicken stock in the freezer, and I was running low! After dinner, I picked the remaining meat and skin off of the bones and put the bones in the crockpot. I cut an onion into chunks and threw it in with the chicken bones, and filled it up with water. That's it!! You cook it for 10 hours on low and in the morning, VOILA! You have a crock pot full of chicken stock!

Note: You can add other traditional chicken stocky (is that a word?) things to the crockpot to give it more depth of flavor. Herbs and carrots and celery and whatever makes you happy! I did not. My husband is allergic to carrots (crazy, right?), and I HATE celery!! 

Here is the deliciousness I woke up to this morning. It smells great!


Next, you strain it out, separating the fat and putting it into small jars. I use a ladle and ladle it into this mesh strainer to catch anything that isn't liquid. It strains into one of those fat separating measuring cups (or you could use a spoon to skim the fat off of the top), and pour into the jars. 


When dispensing into containers, I use jars of multiple sizes. Sometimes you need a lot for a soup, but a little for a sauce. It's good to have size options, so you don't waste an entire quart when you only need a cup.

Make sure to date and label your jars! I have gotten lazy in the past and skipped it, and then I can never remember when I made it! I make labels out of masking tape and sharpie and stick them on. They come off easily without leaving a sticky residue. You can buy some dissolvable labels, and I have in the past, but I ran out and masking tape works just as well.


My finished project. This is so you see how much it makes. Quite a bit! And it only took me about 20 minutes this morning from start to finish. With the holidays around the corner, you will be prepared! No last minute runs to the store when you run out of chicken stock for the gravy! Lots of chicken stock to make soups this season! 

You don't even have to remember to defrost it! I forget sometimes, and I just grab it out of the freezer, TAKE THE LID OFF FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE (!!! don't forget and put metal in the microwave!!) pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes or more (depending on the size of your container) and you are ready to rock!


I hope you enjoy having these stashed in your freezer as much as I do! I always want to hear how it worked for you in the comments!

-Sara


Other Posts You Might Like




© 2016 Moms' Coffee Date All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites! October 14th

Happy Friday!  We are linking up with  Erika ,  Narci  &  Andrea  for the weekly installment of Friday Favorites! This week my very top favorite is ELECTRICITY! Where I live in Virginia, was affected by Hurricane Matthew. By the time he reached us, he was downgraded to a post-tropical storm or something, but still there was a lot of damage in our area, and people are still dealing with it. We were very lucky. We had no major damage to our home. We did, however, lose power for 40 hours. Yes, I counted!  We were absolutely one of the lucky ones, as we had prepared in advance! And several years ago, we had a generator installed, so we had power to the essentials, like the refrigerator and some lights and a few outlets. Very helpful in keeping all of our devices charged!! My next favorite is celebrating this guy's birthday with his school friends a few days early! We had a video game bus come and park in front of our house. Several of Will's friends came and

Stranded! September 14: Movies

This month's Stranded Linkup hosted by Shay at Mix & Match Mama and Erika at A Little Bit of Everything is all about Movies!! I don't know about you, but this is a tough one! I love so many movies! I think these three I could watch over and over and over. I think that I have to go with my all-time favorite movie as a child for the first pick. 1st Pick Oh my gosh, you guys! I LOVED this movie SO much when I was little! Hayley Mills is my favorite! This version was the only one in existence when I was young, so I am biased and think this one is MUCH better than the Lindsay Lohan remake. 2nd Pick I mean, who doesn't love Will Ferrell and his crazy antics?! And in a holiday movie!?! We have watched this so many times during Christmastime and every other time of the year! My kids can quote many favorite lines! 3rd Pick I think this one needs to be a newer comedy that my husband and I have watched so many times. I LOVE Paul Rud

Ladies Who Link: August Edition: Back To School Prep

Hey everybody!!  Sorry for our absence on last month's linkup! I know all you dedicated readers, ok...reader (Hi Mom!) missed us terribly! Summer has been quite a bear around here. We have been traveling a lot and just existing with 3 kids and a puppy has been a long, exhausting challenge. All that said, I do love them all dearly and do my best to cherish our summer time together and making fun memories...amidst the screaming and fighting. Look for the good, right?? Now that I've gotten that out of the way... Thanks for coming by for our link up! And a special thank you to our other hosts:  Allie over at A Gal Named Al ,  Lisa at Coast to Coast ,  Tara at Mommy In A Nutshell  and  Holly over at Pink Lady !! Back to School Prep time! Obviously, I am quite excited that it is time to get THIS party started. I haven't actually had to do much back to school prep to share with you. We did do our usual Target run to get what we needed. My 8th grader needed some